Sunday 5 July 2015

Elderflowers and strawberries

Last year - when I was having the frugality phase, I tried to make elderflower champagne.  It was a complete failure and has increased my resentment against Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall...I now have a great deal of elderflower vinegar, which, stored in large plastic milk bottles, is very useful for cleaning, especially when mixed to a paste with bi-carb.

Strawberries are something I adore, and I especially love strawberry jam - if it's home made.   On Thursday I was in the farm shop and they had a tray of strawberries - for jam - for £3.60.  I took them home, chopped them up and covered them with sugar - the next morning I made jam, and used the best ones to top the tarte aux fraises that I made.

I think getting 6 pots of jam and a tart, plus  some strawbs to put on the museli is quite good on the frugality monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment