Sunday 19 July 2015

365 days - Sunday - leftovers & cherry cake.

Had a lovely evening on Saturday - two friends came around, one is veggie, so it gave me the excuse to make kolokothukeftedes.... we had a fairly simple supper: big plate of the delicious courgette meatballs, with tzatziki, caponata, tomato salad, bread, followed by an Italian cherry cake - which was all right, but not too wonderful, and some goats cheese.

Today we went to the beach and  because I felt like death warmed up, M did the picnic and I just tottered onto the beach.   I had actually bought some picnic things on Saturday in preparation for this. I did think of getting a takeaway, but he pointed out that our fridge was full of stuff that needed to be eaten so we ate:

Chickpeas with pepper, tomato and chorizo,  deep friend new potatoes, caponata, pulled pork, coleslaw, salad, salami and assorted bits of pieces, followed by cherry cake.

I think I'll put the cherry cake recipe here anyway, although I found it a bit heavy.

Stone 650g cherries.
Cream 125 soft butter with 125g caster sugar; fold in 200g plain flour plus 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.  Separate 4 eggs, add yolks to cake mix with 1 tbsp brandy.   Beat egg white until stiff, use a spoon or two to loosen the cake mix, then fold in the rest.    Put the rather stiff hefty mixture into a well buttered 20cm tin, cover with the cherries and press down lightly.  .Cook in medium oven Gas 4 for about 35 mins.

Good with creme chantilly, or creme fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment