Tuesday 7 July 2015

365 days of food: Mushroom soup

Another risky thing - soup that hasn't been refrigerated - but this was saved.  I cooked it on Saturday, but didn't get to it until today.

I make this soup mostly in winter, but recently I've fancied mushrooms.   So, a couple of medium onions, chopped and fried in butter - the smell of this always delights me - much nicer than onions in olive oil... when they've softened a bit, with the aid of a good pinch of salt - add about a pound 500g of chopped mushrooms, more butter and salt to sweat them a bit - when the mushrooms are wilted, take a litre ice cream box full of stock from your freezer (what - you haven't got any?  What are you doing with your chicken bones then? Throwing them a-way????) and pour it into the saucepan.   Add pepper and any complementary herb (parsley, tarragon, etc) you like.  Lid on, bring to boil, simmer for a bit - say 25 mins.  Insert stick blender and grind away at the saucepan contents.  Swirl cream in bowls if you like.

That's it.

What I ate today

Mushroom soup was lunch.  In the evening I suffered from a 4 hour round trip to Hythe, which is normally only 50 minutes away.  Mark offered to buy fish and chips.  I accepted. They were delicious, but in spite of having bought a smaller portion than last time, I felt totally bloated.  TMI.  But wondering why.

No comments:

Post a Comment