Saturday 1 August 2015

365 days: Saturday: pulled pork. Again

I have a feeling I've written about pulled pork before.   Yes, I have, because we ate it about 15 days ago.  On that occasion I wished to feed my eldest son with it, but he unexpectedly went away the day before I cooked it.  So I did again today for his benefit.   On this occasion is was better, although it needed more ginger beer I think.  However, I kept the skin on (against the recipe's advice) but made sure I got the oven temperatures right.

On this occasion I knew I would not be wanting to cook - so, shock horror, we had ready made coleslaw, plus a green salad with a nice dressing I made, plus a request for "potatoes the way Dad does them."
So far my husband's cooking has not featured much in this blog.  There is a reason for this.  However, he is good at heating stuff up and doing French toast, spag carbonara, and fried potatoes.   This involves parboiling the potatoes, then frying them when they are cooked to a state of firmness just before they could be mashed.  They are shallow fried.  I do not greatly care for this method of doing spuds, but it's all right.  Much depends on the potato variety used I think, dull potatoes are not good for this dish.

To follow we had coconut cake which is a family speciality, made in honour of the eldest son's trip to the US.  I would like to say the meal was a raging success - but a certain atmosphere reigned, due to his anxiety about the trip, and the way that this manifests itself in anger towards others.

No comments:

Post a Comment