Sunday 9 August 2015

365 days: The full English

In the last few days I have hardly cooked, we have had so many AirBnB people that I've been too knackered, I went out on Friday - leaving the others with defrosted meatballs and some left over peperonata which they combined and ate with pasta.   On Saturday we had fish and chips, and tonight, overwhelmed with hayfever, I ordered a Chinese.

However, I did cook a full English breakfast this morning, and there is one "recipe" I could offer from that.

Our visitors ordered and paid for a full English, and this is what they each got:  2 chipolata sausages, bacon, blackpudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread, fried egg, baked beans and corncakes.   The unfamiliar object, the corncake, is a family staple since my childhood.  When my children were small it was something that you could usually feed them, and gave them some indigestible vegetable input.

Take a tin of sweet corn, add an egg and beat it in, add salt and pepper and then 2 tbsps of self-raising flour. Mix well, if very thick add a few drops of milk, but don't let it get too sloppy, it needs to be firmer than "dropping consistency".   Then drop spoonfuls of the mix into hot oil, shallow, not deep, turn once.   Very good with tomato sauce (important foodie note there).

No comments:

Post a Comment