Saturday 23 July 2011

My First Gig!

Well - I've done it - canapes for 100 - and virtually every scrap eaten, but at the same time a goodly supply that lasted until 9.00, the official closing time: a few people who turned up afterwards were hanging around the preparation area looking hopeful.... all that was left were a few scraps of foccacia.   Fortunately the Stylish Ice Cream compay were there with really nice ice cream - from their Dreamland Fridge!  They are coming to the Squall in the Park - so that's great.

The Pie Factory Gallery has been cleaned up and painted - and I think the floor has been sorted out.  It's nice because there are a lot of distressed exposed bits - not too showy, just there.   There will be a cafe eventually - perhaps Janet might give me a contract to provide some of the food?

One of my canape ambitions is to present a plate that isn't just full of "brown food" - to show a variety of colours.  But people love brown food - anything with pastry was scoffed rapidly - the foccacia with tomato went quite well, but the nice "healthy" cucumber slices with cream cheese mixed with herbs (dill and chives) or with smoked salmon were somewhat neglected.

What have I learned from this?

Um - Ned is a good waiter - and able to explain the food -
The glazed chicken was popular and well worth doing; the lemon tapenade is really popular - and veggie!
Just about enough in the way of veggie options (4 - the foccacias, the cucumber and cream cheese, the spinach and feta pastries).    Um - yes, need to practice my pipeing skills - do not use the fine star with mixtures that have lumps in - the dill in the cream cheese blocked it up.  Creating some interestingly unprofessional lumps of cheese.   Probably no one cared - but I'd rather things were a bit more perfect.  Needed more trays/plates etc.  More salt in the fish fingers?

Next time I'll do the smoked salmon mix on something farinaceous, and do a prawn thing on the cucumber?

Given the right preparation area I could do a lot of last minute things - if I have waiting staff to walk trays around while I'm doing it.  Given a stove a few small hot things would be possible.  A bit of privacy would be nice - the prep area was rather exposed - and people wandered in to swipe things (I didn't mind - there was plenty - but it rather kills the "mystique").

The best thing is that everyone was very complimentary about the food - and a lot of people took my card.  So perhaps there will be more accounts of such events.  Let's hope.  This particular event was a little bit of a loss leader - and I'm delighted that Dawn asked me - it gave me some exposure, but I was wondering how much I would have charged if I were being a bit more commercial.  I need to work out my hourly rate (including my presence at the do - plus what I might pay a waiter) to make a proper price.... then again I'm aware that lots of people/organisations around here don't have that much money - so there are jobs I'd be prepared to do if they tell me what they want to spend and I see what I can do.

Canape Menu for "I've lost my little Willy"

Sausage "ravioli",  Spinach and feta pastries, glazed chicken
Tuna muffins, Turkish fish fingers,
Cucumber with cream cheese and herbs, cream cheese and smoked salmon,
Tomato foccacia, plain foccacia with lemon tapenade.

Dawn suggested I sell the tapenade in pots - could do.  Don't think it would keep that long - I'll pot the remains and seal with oil and see how well it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment