Monday 7 October 2013

Food of the Poor

This is a lovely recipe - it has 5 ingredients: rice, brown lentils, onions, oil and salt.    The important thing is to make sure to fry far more onions than you think you need.  I reckon it costs about £1 for 4 people - if I can find cheap onions at the farm shop.  I got the recipe from the Claudia Roden Middle Eastern Food book - and we eat it quite often - its real name is megdarrah.    Tonight I discovered that 200g of lentils and 200g of rice was a bit too much for 3 of us.  Perhaps 150g would be enough.  I won't put the recipe here - I'm sure it's available if you Google it.

We ate it with Greek yoghurt and a chopped vegetable salad - which puts the price up somewhat - maybe to £2?  The salad is a bit of cucumber, a couple of tomatoes, a spring onion or two and half a pepper, add any available herbs (mint and coriander and parsley are best) a little lemon juice and some oil - don't forget the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment