Wednesday 2 October 2013

Beauty of Bath

A friend has identified our mysterious apple tree - I've always found it very annoying - it ripens early, but the apples have a perfumed taste that is completely overwhelmed if you eat them with the skins on by the terrible tannins... they aren't so well flavoured when you cook with them, although you can - and I don't usually use them that much.  I tend to make them into apple jelly and freeze a certain amount for future use.

Anyway - she thinks it's a Beauty of Bath - which is a rather lovely name, and nice to be connected to the place - in a weird way.  Always something there to remind me... as the song says.  It is an eating apple, but since about 85% of the apples are either bruised or have a worm in them, one doesn't really have much desire to eat them without giving them a serious peeling and chopping first.  Nevertheless, we managed to eat a couple yesterday - and they are very pretty - when they are ripe they have a pink tinged flesh.

Now I am rather sorry I haven't given them more attention - perhaps I shall give the tree some more attention this year.  It has wrens hanging around it... so I definitely think it's making a contribution to the garden's biodiversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment