Tuesday 3 June 2014

Elderflowers - part 2

Yesterday I made the elderflower cordial - by adding a kilo of sugar to the strained juice, heating gently to dissolve it, and adding a generous teaspoon of citric acid. Today, having run some old sherry and port 0.5l bottles through the dishwasher I bottled the liquor.  Kirstie came over and we drank a lot, it was very delicious.  I hope it will keep - I think that's what the citric acid is for.  It tastes slightly wilder than the commercial ones, but it's also very sweet - perhaps too sweet.  I wonder if I should make more as Christmas presents - I'm thinking ahead of course. Will it keep that long?


A very frothy image above - positively bridal!


The champagne


I looked at the vat of champagne mix - disappointingly no sign of fermentation - despite my having picked the flowers on a hot sunny day - perhaps it was too early in the day (about midday) - which is meant to encourage plenty of wild yeast.   I decided, in the interests of "self-sufficiency" to add some of my own sourdough mix, rather than using commercial yeast, or going and buying brewer's yeast.  I mixed it in - then added another teaspoon or so and drizzled it over the heads.  A few bubbles started to rise - I was encouraged.   When I came back later it was all looking pretty inert again.   However, the very helpful forum on the River Cottage website (where I plucked these recipes) says sometimes you have to look for small brown patch on the surface, rather than bubbles, and this indicates fermentation is beginning.  I am now feeling rather impatient about fermentation, but then again, when I think how long it can take to get a sourdough starter going perhaps I'm being silly.

I've also discovered that the idea of bottling it after 6 days is crazy - it needs 3 weeks - but then again, I could probably bottle some on June 13th to take to my father's party - unless it is very very unready.  I am now wondering whether I need demi-johns and valves etc. Apparently it is perfectly OK to make it in large containers without lids - not sure about stirring though?  I did stir in all the sourdough mix eventually.

Frugality points
I think this scores a couple of frugality points - 1 for foraged foods, 1 for re-use of old bottles, 1 for using sourdough instead of commercially sourced yeast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment