Thursday 15 December 2011

Christmas Food

Christmas food is taking up a lot of time at present.  Our Christmas is spectacularly difficult, because we have Mark's birthday as well - and that requires a separate feast to cope with.  And this year I am going in to hospital on 23rd for the day - so I need to be especially organised as I will not be allowed to cook for 48 hours.

It is tradition for my family to eat cold ham and turkey on Christmas Day for breakfast, but I think that will have to be changed this year.  We then have turkey and everything else, followed by Christmas pudding and an alternative pudding for the boys.   Last year I didn't make a Christmas pudding as it was just us, we had homemade sticky toffee pudding instead, which was very good.   This year we will have Christmas pudding and chocolate roulade (chocolate log) for the boys. 

There are two types of stuffing: sausage and chestnut - which is frozen and ready in advance, and "the other one" - which depends on what I feel like - sometimes I make a rice/fruit/nut and spice one, sometimes it's a lemony one, sometimes it's just veggies - this is meant to keep the turkey moist.   We usually have potatoes, sprouts, carrots, peas, parsnips and red cabbage.  And bread sauce and cranberry sauce, and sausages and bacon rolls.  So far, so traditional.

On Boxing Day my youngest brother and sister-in-law are coming.  This year I think we'll have the ham hot, with pommes dauphinoise, more red cabbage and salads.   Followed by: tiramisu or trifle, more chocolate log, cheese...

I was very shocked yesterday when I went shopping - we seemed to have spent more on food than anything else, yet I bought few obviously extravagant items - however, I have got just about everything except the turkey, and of course we'll need more fruit and veg.   I didn't see any lychees.  I love lychees and feel deprived without them, no one else does.

No comments:

Post a Comment