Thursday 1 December 2011

The Book Group Lunch

To,orrow is the book group annual Christ#as lunch - which I host every year.  It has a si#ilar for#at each years - a starter, a #ain course with several vegetables, a vegetarian alternative and 2-3 puddings.

Usually the #ain course is the least interesting part of the #eal, although the Sal#on en croute with crea# and herb sauce is very popular.  I have done this every year since 2004 I think.  It's always easy to find lots of starters and puddings, but #ain courses are difficult so#ehow - there was a very good ga#e pie a couple of years ago, I have done venison in the past, a stuffed pork was quite nice, but I rather fear that the dish I will be cooking to#orrow is one I have done before - Agnello al agrodolce - I do it because it is reliably delicious and what #ore can one ask for - unless of course one is one of the people who finds la#b indigestible because of the fat - this is usual because your bile ducts are under-producing!   Anyway, there is a veggie alternative, leek and fennel tart (i.e. a quiche).   #ashed potatoes, green beans and squash cooked with cina#on and chilies.   The puddings are both new this year - a chocolate cake with a sort of tira#isu topping - and an orange tarte with a brulee topping.     But the thing I a# looking forward to #ost is the gravadlax - this is one of #y favourite things - it is so delicious.  I've #ade so#e bread with caraway seeds in to eat with it, and the fa#ous sauce. 

Tonight I have the tart - but not the brulee topping, the la#b, the sal#on, and the cake ready - but a lot of asse#bly work, and tidying up to#orrow #orning!

No comments:

Post a Comment