Sunday 6 November 2016

Pumpkin Soup

I first ate pumpkin soup in France, many years ago.  It was nectar.  Since then I have never succeeded in making good conventional pumpkin soup.   I think this is because the pumpkins most widely available are what is called "carving pumpkins" grown for decoration, not flavour.    I duly bought one a couple of weeks ago, but then decided to be a Hallow'een grinch and not provide sugar and e-numbers to the local kids.  So I had a rather nice, farm shop pumpkin waiting to be dealt with.

I made a good soup with it.  I had some really rich, fatty lamb broth made from a collection of lamb shoulder bones I had been storing in the freezer, and a sad, aging leek, and I had a yen for the lamb, leek and pearl barley stew my mother and grandmother used to make - but with more ooomph.


1 onion, one or 2 leeks,  half a large pumpkin,  a lot of lamb stock, butter, salt and pepper, ground coriander, pearl barley (about 75-100g or 2-3 oz.)

Fry chopped onion and sliced leeks in butter, add the peeled, de-seeded, roughly chopped pumpkin, stir about until they begin to soften.  Add 1 teaspoon of ground coriander and salt and pepper.,  Then add the pear barley and stir a little bit more, then add the hot stock, bring to the boil and simmer until barley is soft (about an hour I think).  Eat!

It is not a low-carb soup, but it doesn't need bread with it, it's very filling on its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment