Thursday 21 November 2013

Quinces hoary

Some time ago some friends of mine who were doing Virgil, reading a translation of the Georgics enjoyed this translation "quinces hoary" of a phrase in a list of things the humble rustic grew in his garden (I think).  They are tough little buggers quinces, I finally dealt with the last of them today.  I used some to make eau de vie - and some of the first batch I used for jelly, I used the pulp to make a really delicious chutney.  I am going to give tiny quantities of the eau de vie to my family for Christmas.  The grated quince is already steeping in brandy - I used a couple of quinces to cook some pork fillet with.  The last quinces have made a second tiny batch of jelly - which I think has a better flavour, suggesting that the quinces have continued to ripen.


Unfortunately I left the quince pulp hanging around, and it got mouldy, so I couldn't do a second batch of chutney.  

I am really excited about the quince eau de vie, and I so wish I had made some more blackberry gin - we had some at supper on 11th October, and it was quite delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment