Sunday 19 May 2013

Drinking vin d'orange

This is the sequel: for some reason I didn't put enough sugar in, make a nice, bitter aperitif - but I think I might have to slightly increase the sugar content next time.  Also, on this occasion there was a lot of "lees" - and even after 8 weeks the mixture was continuing to ferment - so when it was bottled it was necessary to put the lids on loosely to allow gas to continue to escape.

I strained it several times through muslin - but it didn't really do the trick.  I am not sure why this has happened, but my guess is that the weather has been so cold that the fermentation has been slower.  There has been a little fermentation before, and we once tragically lost a whole bottle when the thing overflowed when it opened...and someone wasn't speedy enough to put the top back on - so.

The other essential for enjoying vin d'orange is sunshine - and although our garden is looking pretty, green and floriferous, yet there hasn't been the "right sort of sunshine" and most of our vin d'orange has been consumed in a chilly, grey atmosphere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment