Tuesday 8 January 2013

Christmas leftovers

There's no shortage of advice on this topic.  I make all the usual turkey curries, and turkey pasta bakes etc.  I saw a very good savoury Bath bun - with turkey stuffing and cranberry filling, instead of the usual fruit filling - which I didn't have a chance to try.

On 6th January I had an "End of Christmas" party - which was great.  I really wanted to get rid of all the Christmas goodies - but ended up with a lot left, because people brought so many nice things.

One thing I did was this, to use up old cheese, cranberry sauce and a packet of filo that was in tatters when I opened it. It was remarkably delicious.


Cranberry & Cheese Baklava
(my recipe)

1 small packet of filo, can be broken up, scraps of fio
Melted butter,
Grated cheese – any mix – basic leftovers
Leftover cranberry sauce – pref. Homemade.,
Mix cranberry with grated cheese

Butter baking dish, put in a layer of bits of filo, dribbled with melted butter, then put in a layer of cheese mix – cover with more layers of filo – and melted butter.  Another layer of cheese, then cover with filo, paint with butter, put into Oven 4-5 at top for 30 mins.... cut into squares immediately – leave to cool for a short time, serve warm.

Sorry about the lack of quantities - it doesn't really matter very much, if you like it fruity put in more cranberry, more cheese if you like it less fruity,  I used c. 100g cheese which included goat cheese and feta cheese, and about 5 tbsps of cranberry sauce, quite a tart homemade one.  It was quite a good balance.  This will make a small tray of "baklava" - can be cut into c. 24 bits.   

No comments:

Post a Comment