Wednesday 26 October 2011

Chocolate mousse

I made this yesterday.  I think I may have mis-remembered the recipe - which I saw in something over the weekend.   It was delicious - but so thick...

250g dark chocolate, 40g butter, 4 eggs, a tbsp rum, 2 tbsps sugar.
Melt chocolate and butter, without stirring them - separate eggs, beat whites until stiff, beat sugar and rum with egg yolks - add melted chocolate to the yolks, then fold in whites.

This makes enough for 6 ramekins... but it was so thick that I'm not sure I'd make it again - the texture was more like a ganache or truffle.  It needed quite a lot of whipped cream to "dilute" it - so I think I'd try to make it with 6 eggs next time - or less chocolate.  Or maybe it should be used as the basis for truffles?


I also made pasta e fagioli again - this one was really nice.  I used borlotti beans - soaked over night and cooked them.   I then fried bacon, onions, celery and carrot - quite a lot of bacon - 100-150g - more than they tell you.  When it was soft, added the cooked beans and their liqud plus chopped parsley stalks and more water and a stock cube.   Cooked slowly for about 40 mins - left it to stand - then brought back to the boil and added lots of pasta (fusilli al radiatore seemed good) - also a bit more water.     Salt and pepper, but no other herbs etc.

It was very good - served with parmigiano - but actually the bacon was enough of a flavouring.  I think they wouldn't use smoked bacon in Italy - but I think that was what gave it such a good flavour.  Last time I made it I think I added some tomato puree or passata - didn't bother this time.  Really proper solid flavour, not at all thin.  Must do it again - only Ned doesn't "do beans".

No comments:

Post a Comment